Az. Agricola Di Giacomi - Vini Marchigiani d'eccellenza Azienda Agricola Aldo Di Giacomi
cookie policy  credits  italian site
Home Company Contacts News Products History Territory
Town of Castorano
Castorano, small town inhabited Marches of 2193, is situated on the hill on the right hand of the Tronto river. Difficult date precisely the origin of the town of Castorano and the origin of the name of the town. Certainly before and during the Roman age, the place was inhabited by people Picene, following the fall of the city of Ascoli, Castorano was taken over by the Romans between 296 and 297 BC. Probably, in this period, became one of stationes the path of Sale coming, probably until Portum Neolitical today Porto d'Ascoli.
Precisely this historical stage you try to raise the current name of the town. Castorano presumably derives from "Castrum Romanum", literally "Roman camp", a historically Roman military settlement in place monitoring and protection the "Salaria". It is testimony to what a stone of the century milestone. BC, found in the township, That is the first element of certain date in the town.
After the fall of the Roman Empire and the subsequent period of uncertainty social, economic and military, Castorano was inevitably under the control of the Longobards and the Duchy of Spoleto, and thereafter under the county constituted during Carolingian Age. From an act of the 1283 sale, Castorano was transferred to the town of Ascoli by a certain Raynaldus de Montis Sancti Paoli. In 1183, it became a free town, faithful ally of the State Ascolano, nor shares most of the events and, as a castle on appeal, It is governed by a vicar and must pay an annual fee of 58 Ducati as a guarantee of protection. Throughout the 15th and 16th century remains involved in the secular war against Fermo and its allies of Offida and Acquaviva. In centuries Castorano suffered assaults and destruction (the disastrous assault of Fermo in 1534, following which rock barely remained standing). In the same period a superintendent of the Castle, Astolfo Guiderocchi headed his own militia, was starting its raids for the Valley. This period, however troubled, the most important story of Castorano, which boasted a wide area, a hospital, a prison and was also the only crossroads to anyone wishing to reach the neighboring kingdom of Naples. From 16th century onwards, came under close papal state, it suffered accordingly, the fate and oppressive methods up to the government of Italy (1861).

Historical Sites:
  • The civic tower built in 1471.
  • Castellana door.
  • The Church of St. Mary of the Visitation with a crypt of the 12th century.
  • The Pievania (Pastor Residence), with the old prisons.
  • The Church of San Giovanni Battista of 1532.
  • The Municipal statute of the 1612 preserved in the archives.




  • For us, the winemaking implies to put itself on hand of the earth, of the vineyard, of the wine in wine cellar,
    to make all things that, in several phases, the elements ask and obey without saying a word......
    Aldo Di Giacomi.
    © Azienda Agricola Aldo DiGiacomi | PI: 01214170449 | info | trovaci su google places
    C.da San Silvestro,4, 63081 Castorano - Ascoli Piceno